FSM runs Family Start - a home visiting programme that focuses on improving children's growth and health, learning and relationships, family circumstances, environment and safety.
It helps families/whānau who are struggling with challenges that make it harder to care for their baby or young child.
FAMILY START WILL HELP:
the child grow strong, learn, stay healthy and have positive relationships
parents/caregivers to be more confident about caring for their child
families/whānau create a positive future for their child
WHEN SHOULD I CONTACT FSM ABOUT FAMILY START?
If you are struggling, it is best to get help as soon as you can.
We can start any time from when the mother is three months pregnant until the child's first birthday. If a chlld is bit older, we might still be able to help.
We can continue working with you and your child until they turn five. After that we can help make sure you get on-going help if you need it.
HOW DOES FAMILY START WORK?
First, we match you with a FSM Family Start whānau worker, who walks alongside you throughout your journey.
- visit you at home, starting with once a week, to get to know you, your child, partner and family/whānau.
- find out what parts of being a parent you've already got sorted, and where you need some help.
- help get the right heathcare for your child.
- explain how your baby is growing and changing at different stages.
- help you work out your goals, and a plan to get there.
- provide you with information, ideas and support.
- put you in touch with other services you need.
- support you to keep your child safe.
- provide monthly Ahuru Mōwai/Born to Learn parenting sessions to help you understand your child's needs at different stages.