Family Start: Manukau & Franklin
What is Family Start?
Family Start is a home visiting programme that focuses on improving children's growth and health, learning and relationships, family circumstances, environment and safety.
It helps families/whaanau who are struggling with challenges that make it harder to care for their baby or young child.
We deliver this programme in Manukau and Franklin areas.
Family Start will help:
your child grow strong, learn, stay healthy and have positive relationships
parents/caregivers to be more confident about caring for your child
families/whaanau create a positive future for your child
When should I contact Family Start?
If you are struggling, it is best to get help as soon as you can.
We can start any time from when the mother is three months pregnant until the child's first birthday. If a child is bit older, we might still be able to help.
We can continue working with you and your child until they turn five. After that we can help make sure you get on-going help if you need it.
How does Family Start work?
First, we match you with a Family Start whaanau worker, who walks alongside you throughout your journey.
- visit you at home, starting with once a week, to get to know you, your child, partner and family/whaanau,
- find out what parts of being a parent you've already got sorted, and where you need some help,
- help get the right healthcare for your child,
- explain how your baby is growing and changing at different stages,
- help you work out your goals, and a plan to get there,
- provide you with information, ideas and support,
- put you in touch with other services you need,
- support you to keep your child safe,
- provide monthly Ahuru Moowai/Born to Learn parenting sessions to help you understand your child's needs at different stages.